Friday, August 3, 2012

The Golem



I was a manikin of bones and flesh, 
Automated expression of other people's needs. 
I was a silent puppet of a Lord with no mercy. 
Slave. Soldier of a ruthless king. 
I was a human robot, walking the streets empty, hypnotized. 
Evil Lords looking over me.

I escaped. 

I was for a while living hidden in a little shed at the back of your house. 
Observing you secretly each day, 
Envying your humanness
Jealous of your normality. 

Then I fell on my knees, begging for help. 


And the Light came down, surrounding me 


Now, I live on the other side. 

Free. 
My mind awoken by the One Great Puppeteer. 
I serve the Almighty. 
Its Word and Breath now move through me 

May Your Will become my will. 

May Your Light enlighten me. 
Daily.

I serve God and I am free!




In the mystical jewish folklore, the golem is an animated artificial being created from mud and made alive by the magical use of the hebrew alphabet. It is, in many ways the ancestor of Mary Shelley's famous creature of Frankenstein.